Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Be Our Guest!

After all the craziness at our house in December, I found myself flitting from one project to the next and not really getting anything done once January came. I reminded myself of my sweet Grandma Carol. One time I watched her pour a bowl of Cheerios - milk and everything - then she went outside and picked strawberries for about 45 minutes. Then she came back inside and ate the Cheerios. When I remembered that, I knew I had to fight the flitting gene and finish something. That something is the guest room in our basement. Let's explore the magnitude of my accomplishment.

Here is a view of the southwest corner of the guest room last June:
The sheetrock had been hung with sort-of care and stacks of mud, still in the boxes, were in the middle of the room. Here is the same corner of the guest room yesterday:
I know, right?!

Here we have the evolution of the other side of the room. Last June:
And in December before the carpet and after the second paint color and trim:
Here is that view yesterday:
Did you notice the closet door is different? Yeah, I saw that too. They brought nine six-paneled doors to our house and one two-paneled door. Also, let's get a better look at those beautiful curtains I made:
See, Allyn? It only took me four years to do something with that fabric I bought in L.A. Now the room is complete. Until I figure out how to paint Grandpa's old headboard...

11 comments:

Kristina P. said...

Wow! You guys did an amazing job! I will definitely come and stay with you.

Mom said...

Dad and I love "our" new room! :)

Suebee said...

That is really beautiful.

Jess said...

Wow! That is great- I wish my own bedroom had the class of that guest room! I am very impressed.

Angie said...

Very, very nice. Good job.

RCH said...

Very pretty! (Verification word: inglow. So I guess even Blogger thinks so.)

melissa said...

Who's going to break the news to Mom that it is, in fact, OUR room? The chair looks great in there.

Jen said...

Sold! When can we move in? All you need down there now is a mini fridge :)

allyn said...

the curtains are gorgeous in there. just the right touch. doesn't it feel good to get that finished. i always get a feeling of such accomplishment when i get any sort of looming project out of the way.
anyone up for finishing mom's 50th birthday quilt?

Kristi said...

I forgot to say how perfect the guest bedroom looks! I love the color on the walls. I do. And the curtains? I need to feel them in person to make sure they're not a figment of my imagination!

Katy said...

Oh, it's lovely! I love that you put things on the walls-nice Walter Rane painting. And the chair-nice touch. I love that you finished a project.