Monday, February 9, 2015

Sew & Tell: Rainy Day

My lovely quilting mentor (of course I have one), Carmen Geddes, has her very own printed interfacing for her grid quilt patterns. She's working on a book with patterns for at least ten different quilt designs. Last fall I pieced one of those designs for her:
This is before the seams were sewn - I just ironed on all those 2 1/2" pieces. When I laid it out I realized it needed another row of panels (the grid is 9 squares by 14 squares) to look right. Anyway! While I was piecing this for Carmen, I was making plans for my own grid quilts. I did a few table squares and then I used seven mini charm packs (42 2 1/2" squares packaged together, including every fabric in a line) to make this baby quilt:
The corners match up perfectly! I think this line of fabric was made for me. It's called April Showers. I got all the mini charm packs at The Gathering Place in Jerome, Idaho, after our retreat at the monastery. 
It's a baby quilt, so I put minky on the back. Check out the sweet umbrellas in the quilting.
My signature stripey binding... and minky fuzz on the binding that I didn't notice when I was taking the picture. Tradition! The grid pattern is addicting - there are so many different designs. I'm working on another one right now. I'm getting in the mood for some curves, though. Hmmmm.

No comments: